Tuesday 19 July 2011

Lemon drizzle fairy cakes

I've just finished making these and they turned out pretty well! I kind of amalgamated two different recipes and made some bits up, and I'm pleased with the results. I made these for Owl's office - I do them cakes once a month or so and people make charity donations in exchange. It's meant to happen on payday but I've gone off schedule the last couple of months because of having colds and not wanting to commit germ warfare on the entire company. Anyway, because of baking for so many I doubled the recipe below.


Ingredients

Cake mixture:
125 g butter, softened at room temperature
125 g caster sugar
Zest of 1 lemon (get an unwaxed one or you'll end up with wax in your cakes! You could use a little lemon extract if you can only find waxed lemons)
2 large eggs (to double the recipe I used 5 medium eggs cause that's what I had in, it worked fine)
125 g self-raising flour, sifted
2 tbsp milk

Lemon drizzle topping:
Juice of one lemon
45g caster sugar


Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas mark 6 (or 180°C for a fan-assisted oven).

Cream the butter and sugar together in a bowl until light and fluffy. Add the lemon zest and mix well.

Add the eggs one at a time, following each with a spoonful of flour and mixing in.

When all the eggs are in, add the rest of the flour and fold to mix. Add milk little by little as needed for a soft dropping consistency - you may not need it all.

Line two 12-hole mini muffin tins with paper cases. You probably won't fill all 24 holes, but I definitely got more than 12 cakes out of this much mixture. Dollop the mixture into the cases, making each case around two-thirds full. I only have one tin so did this in batches.

Bake for approx. 15 minutes (start peering at them after 10, depending on how ferocious your oven is) until risen and golden. Stick a skewer into a cake to test - if it comes out clean, the cake is done.

While the cakes cool slightly in their tin, make the lemon drizzle by mixing together the lemon juice and sugar. Prick each cake a couple of times with a fork, then use a spoon to trickle a little topping over each one. Leave to cool completely.

STUFF FACE Feed to admiring friends and family.

2 comments:

  1. Yum! Sorry I can't be more articulate than that, I'm dribbling too much! They sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are pretty good. :) I packed most of them up for Owl to take with him tomorrow, but I left a couple behind for Bat and me.

    ReplyDelete