Thursday 7 July 2011

There's something about Bristol takeaways

I know takeaway portions are generally ridiculous anyway, but I swear they're bigger in Bristol than anywhere else I've lived. It's the same whatever we get and wherever we order from, other than the chains which all do things the same (though our local Subway is pretty stingy with the fillings, cough cough). We had Chinese last night and it was very nice but holy cow, HUGE. We had a spring roll each to start and that would have done me for a normal supper all by itself - they were vast. Then Owl dished us up humongous amounts of noodles and meat and veg and nuts and sauce and, well, MSG. You know when you've been eating for about fifteen minutes and you look down and the plate looks no emptier than when you started? It was like that. I left half of mine and Owl ate it. He's got hollow legs, the lucky so-and-so. I weigh loads more than he does but he can demolish stacks of food that defeat me easily.

Up the road is a chippy that apparently serves up this beast - the Super Scooby, comprising "four 1/4lb beef patties, eight rashers of bacon, eight slices of cheese, 12 onion rings, heaps of salad and three sauces" and coming in at 2,645 kcal. Plus chips. You get a free can of Diet Coke if you manage to finish it in one sitting. We haven't made the attempt.

In other food news, I'm planning to make stuffed parathas this week (after first wanting to make dosas before realising that dosa batter is a faff and requires planning in advance). It's a first for me, so we'll see how well it turns out.

In other other news, the OU course I'd set my heart on doing turns out to cost £700. Arsecakes. I can't possibly justify dipping that far into my savings. Feeling a bit mournful about it.

2 comments:

  1. I love a Chinese takeaway but I definitely couldn't eat one that big - I wish you'd taken a picture of it!!!

    CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I'd got evidence of the behemoth now - didn't think of it at the time. I think next time we'll know not to order two different dishes plus noodles (it's what we used to order for two from our old local when we lived in Surrey, but their portions were just greedy, not a full day's worth of food on one plate). Or I'll freeze half of it for another night!

    ReplyDelete