Monday 11 July 2011

Magpie Monday

My first Magpie Monday! I'm a bit of a fiend for second-hand bargains so this is right up my street.

Now we're spending more time outside, both at home and at the children's centre, I've been worried about the Bat's knees getting scraped or her leggings being ruined as she crawls on the paving (we've got no lawn at home, just paving slabs, which makes me a bit sad but hey ho). So I've been on the lookout for some tougher denim or cotton trousers she can rampage in. I got some in the Mothercare sale, but despite being sized 12-18 months they're far too big and long for her so we've had to put them aside for a few months. The shops are all full of lightweight little shorts now, but I turned to eBay and got a couple of things in good nick for way less than retail price.

Baby Gap jeans - they fit her well with a little room to grow length-wise, and cost me all of £3.99 including postage. Plus the embroidery is really pretty.

[Image description: a pair of baby's blue jeans with a button fastening. They have embroidered flowers in brown, blue and white on the right knee and left hip pocket.]

And these Mini Boden trousers (boys' ones, strictly speaking, but so is a lot of her stuff - I really can't see that it matters). They're made from tough cotton and lined, so I defy any stone or pebble to get through them. There's a little wear on the knees from their previous owner, but plenty of life left in them, and they cost the princely sum of £3.54 including postage.

[Image description: a pair of baby's trousers in brown cotton, with a button fastening and hip pockets.]

We've also got the Bat quite a decent haul of new stuff in the sales, including a swimsuit at last (from Monsoon, no less!), but since that's not second-hand I'll leave it for another day.

See everyone else's Magpie Mondays at Me and My Shadow

3 comments:

  1. Good finds.
    I don't know if you know or not but the Netmums site has local nearly new boards where you can get some real bargains.
    Most of my children's clothes come via that route often in big black bin liner fulls for very little money

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were super lucky when Bat was born - a colleague of the Owl's gave us an absolute ton of clothing that her kids had grown out of, so we're really only just starting to run out of things and having to buy them ourselves. I'll definitely check out the Netmums local boards, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let me know if there's anything you want me to keep an eye out for, we've got quite a selection of charity shops, and (rather excitingly) I can get 20% off in my work's shops, though the nearest one is the next town down.

    Squeaky wears plenty of boys clothes too, I don't think it matters in the least, and long as they're clean.

    ReplyDelete