Wednesday 3 August 2011

I will never be a yummy mummy

I had this idea that for the month of August I would wear something nice (or at least not pyjamas) every day and do a weekly photo round-up on the blog. Well, it's the 3rd today and I've already failed spectacularly - I can't find the charger for the camera batteries, and I spent yesterday in jeans and the oversized stripy nightshirt that I'm wearing in the picture to your right. Today I wore a proper top with my jeans, but only because we were going out (to an IKEA crayfish party, of all things).

I've been quite lucky in that my dress size didn't change drastically with pregnancy. In fact I shrank while pregnant, not counting the bump, and then shrank more during the first weeks of breastfeeding. When the constant breastfeeding eased up a bit, the weight started to come back and I've resettled at precisely the same weight as when I got pregnant two years ago. Not exactly the same shape - some bum and thigh have relocated to stomach and, unfortunately, boob. Which might not sound all that unfortunate, but I'm now a GG cup and it's getting difficult to find bras that fit. Some of my old clothes have had to be discarded because I've changed shape, but lots of them still fit me. I have lots of lovely things, I just don't bother wearing them any more. Sigh.

Before I start talking about body image and clothes, I should probably say that I'm fat (not oh-dear-I-can't-button-my-size-12s-I'm-so-fat, but proper size 22/24 fat) and into body acceptance for many personal reasons that I won't go into here. I don't regard being fat as a major problem in my life, I don't think it's inherently ugly or some kind of moral failing, and I don't go in for euphemisms like chunky or *gag* fluffy (I had no idea that was a word anyone used until a year or so ago. I mean, WTF?). Just so we're clear. :)

Anyway, being fat does make it trickier to find nice clothes that fit. As a student I couldn't afford much, and my self-esteem was kind of shot besides, so I wore lots of jeans and shapeless tops until they were bobbly and ragged. When I got my first proper, full-time job I went a bit crazy on eBay and tried out lots of different new styles to see if I liked them. Skirts! Dresses! Things that aren't black! A few years on, I now have tons of things to choose from and the task before me is to whittle them down to what I'll actually wear and enjoy. That's the idea behind dressing up for a month - to try things out, see what I still like wearing and hopefully give myself a confidence boost as well. Er. Maybe September?

No comments:

Post a Comment